Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Christmas is right around the corner, The Christmas tree is a dangerous fire hazard. This is a list of do’s and don’ts for this holiday season
- DON’T use old lights on the tree, they can heat up and cause a fire.
- DON’T plug all the lights into one outlet.
- DON’T light the fire in the fireplace without checking the chimney vent.
- DON’T light a fire near the tree.
- DON’T use a propane heater inside you house.
- DON’T leave candles lit when not in the same room
- DON’T let the tree dry out
- DON’T over bakes the holiday cookies.
- DO keep all ornaments off the lower levels to keep children or pets from breaking them.
- DO keep the tree a safe distance away from the fire place 3-5 feet is safe. Make sure to keep lots of water in the base of the Christmas tree so that it won’t dry out.
- DO keep all the lights plugged in on timers, the lights plugged in all night will cause unnecessary power consumption and unwanted power surges causing electrical fires.
- DO keep all presents away from the fire place.
- DO check the chimney vent to make sure the smoke doesn’t stay in the house.
- DO clean the chimney to keep pests out and keep the buildup of carbon from catching on fire.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (323) 667-3100
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 hour service
We work with your insurance.
For a stress free claims process, SERVPRO can help manage the insurance paperwork and process. Call for details.
I'm writing to express my extreme gratitude for the work done at my Los Angeles home in the Hollywo...
Max P.- NBC NEWS in Hollywood Hills
More Water Damage-Related Reviews
before & after photos
Thermal Catches all
thermal imaging catches all the temperature changes. Before we have a cold moist wall where the v...
More Before & After Photos
Storm Water Damage Tips
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety
Read More »
More Water Damage-Related Blog Posts